Historic Hanson, Kentucky, is often referred to as the Antiques and Art Center Of Western KY. The town has the true distinction of being the smallest historic district in Kentucky and has a thriving and recognized arts & antiques business community.
What Hanson town lacks in size is more than made up for in character and charm. The town’s recent upgrading and rehabilitation of the downtown area has resulted in that its sidewalks are again welcoming visitors and shoppers to the town’s charming downtown stores, cafes, and restaurants.
Hanson boasts architecture that dates back to the late1870s-early 1890s and what you can see from the outside is at least as fantastic and impressive as the magnificent shops and boutiques that are housed inside the town’s architectural treasures. Hanson, Kentucky, has a lot to offer for everyone, from antiques and art shops to the finest B-B-Q restaurants.
Hanson is a small historic city located in the northern portions of Hopkins County, Kentucky. U.S. 41 (here named Hanson Road) is passing right through Hanson’s center and I-69 passes through the city’s eastern portions. You can access Hanson from Exit 120.
The county seat of Hopkins County, Madisonville, is located some 6 miles to the south and the city of Henderson, located on the Indiana-Kentucky state line, is just over 30 miles to the north.
The city of Hanson was established in 1869 on a 50-acre vast area of land that was donated by Reverend Roland Gooch and Judge Robert Eastwood to be developed by the Henderson & Nashville Railroad, today known as the Seaboard Railroad.
Hanson is named for Henry B. Hanson, a railway surveyor and civil engineer who was working for the railroad. He plotted and developed the town. and in December of 1869, the city received a post office to be incorporated at the end of March 1873 by the state assembly.
Hanson? Just Like When I Was a Kid….Except the Toilets are Indoors Now.
When her hometown threatened to condemn 8 historic buildings (dating from 1879-1895), Teresa Anthony purchased all of them. Over the following years, she restored and rented out all of them. Here’s her remarkable story.
Q: Could you give us some sense of growing up in Hanson, KY? Is there a major city within an easy drive? Hanson was a great place to grow up. Even though it’s a rural area it was still close enough to town to get what you needed. When I was a kid the downtown had a wonderful old general store (Parish’s) and the Hanson Grill. The other old buildings were antique shops and an electronics repair shop.
On March 28, 1843, Dora Ann Fletcher and James A. Drawdy were married in Irwin County, Georgia. Tragically, James Drawdy died in 1848 at the age of 26. Dora Ann married James’ first cousin, William Jackson Drawdy in Irwin County, Georgia on Sept. 13, 1849. Dora Ann may have called William J. Drawdy “Jim”, hence confusion by some accounts that she moved to Florida married to James Drawdy.
William and Dora Ann decided to live a frontier life in this new state. Florida had just joined the Union in 1845. At this time the peninsular portion of the state was an unexplored wilderness, except for rough trails made by soldiers fighting the Seminoles. No written records were made of this horse and wagon trek through Georgia and north Florida, nor of the plunge into the unsurveyed and unknown. But in her later years, Dora Ann told this story to her grandchildren…
Americans like to visit scenic areas and historic sites – but where can they go to do both at the same time?
Imagine taking your next vacation where the Sundance Kid once held up the local bank, where dozens of wineries and luxurious spas vie for your attention, or where four world-class museums are within walking distance. Or you could be at the gateway of the Great Smoky Mountains, on a baseball field where Babe Ruth once played, or on the rocky, windswept California coast.
The National Trust’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations answers that question. The National Trust chooses 12 communities from all across America that offer our citizens enjoyable historic, natural, aesthetic, cultural, and recreational experiences.
Each location demonstrates a commitment to historic preservation and has an interesting architecture, a dynamic downtown, cultural diversity, walking access for visitors and residents, and a locally owned small business economic base.
Not many people realize how important the Coeur d’Alene Mining Region is to our national economy and the numerous benefits derived from the silver, lead, and zinc mined here. The Coeur d’Alene Mining Region, which is roughly four miles wide and twenty miles long, ranked first in the annual production of silver being mined in the world for many years. The top four silver mines in the United States are right here in this little valley.
Some old tales suggest that placer gold may have been mined from the general area in the early 1800s, perhaps by traders and trappers. However, recorded production in the district did not start until 1884.
Visitors to Wallace and the Silver Valley, after inspecting the top silver producing mines in the nation, can also get a glimpse of the early-day gold rush to the Coeur d’Alene Mountains just over a century ago with an hour’s drive to the Murray gold district north of Wallace.
Visitors should take Forestry Road 456 which runs up Nine Mile Canyon past the Sierra Mine Tour site and over Dobson Pass. This road, while crooked, is paved and well maintained.
At the bottom of the pass on the north side, you will proceed down historic Beaver Creek, where every little gulch and side stream yielded placer gold, to the old townsite of Delta, which once had 1,500 residents.
Here is a road junction where the visitor can turn right on Road 605 to go over Kings Pass and on to Murray. This road takes the visitor past the Murray Cemetery, where colorful characters of the past are buried.
In 1865, rich silver ore was discovered on War Eagle Mountain overlooking Silver City, Idaho. The War Eagle Mine and over 200 other mines in the area went on to produce more than $60,000,00 of precious metals.
A bit further up the road (a mile to be exact) from Silver City was “Ruby City”. Ruby City was the original county seat but lost this title to the 2-year-old Silver City in 1866. Many homes and businesses were physically moved to Silver City hoping to capitalize on Silver City’s newly acquired status of Owyhee County Seat.
Silver City Idaho has a turbulent history. There are stories of shootings between rival mining companies, and men and management. The cemetery is well populated with such men and their stories, which now lie forever, beneath ornate, wrought iron fences.
An interesting seven-mile driving tour can be taken from Wallace up Canyon Creek to the town of Burke. Mining claims were staked at Burke in 1884. The town of Burke was founded the following year. Burke is unique, having been listed twice in Ripley’s Believe It or Not and by being served by two railroads before the first road reached the town.
To take the tour, proceed to the stoplight at the County Court House. This was the last stoplight left on Interstate 90 between Seattle and Boston.
0.0 Stoplight at the County Court House. Proceed easterly.
0.4 1-90 Interchange and Railroad crossing. The orange buildings to left were the Coeur d’Alene Company machine shops. A Foundry formerly occupied land under the freeway.
The Northern Pacific Depot has been a focal point for many local activities. President Theodore Roosevelt arrived at the depot on May 26, 1903, for an official visit to the city.
The President traveled a parade route to the city park in an open, horse-drawn carriage. The city had lined the streets with $5,000 worth of American Flags for the occasion, but the weather did not cooperate as it was a rainy day.
The 1910 fire forced the evacuation of most of Wallace’s women and children. Many caught the Northern Pacific Railroad fire-rescue trains at the Depot on August 20 to flee to Missoula. The easterly part of Wallace, including the Union Pacific Depot, burned on August 20, but the Northern Pacific Depot escaped the fire.